However, packing for a huge conference isn’t always the easiest thing in the world. It’s not like it’s vacation, where you throw a bunch of shorts and t-shirts into a suitcase and just go. Things need to be planned. Carefully.
So, I give you my packing list. Yup, it’s…
What I’m taking to RWA.
1. 5 business casual outfits for 5 days of meeting and greeting, including but not limited to day dresses and dress-up-able jeans, tulip and A-line skirts, smart summer weight jackets, and cardigans. (NYC is a swamp in the summer and the hotel will invariably be air conditioned to within an inch of its life – and if not there will be a riot – so… layers, people. Layers.)
2. 2 cocktail dresses, for cocktail parties. (Cocktails will be obtained on the scene.)
3. 1 insanely fabulous dress for the RITA awards ceremony. (I’m not nominated this year, but I’m still going to win Best Dressed, dammit.)
4. Awesome WALKABLE shoes. (It’s NYC. I lived there for 9 years. People walk. Everywhere. Learn to love it.)
5. 1 pair spiky shoes of sparkly goodness for RITA awards ceremony. (See above re: Best Dressed.)
6. My gym clothes. (Because I have to at least pretend I’m going to get in gym time.)
7. Any hair product that promises to tame frizz. (See above re: NYC is a swamp.)
8. Money. I’m in New York and I’m going to a Mario Batali restaurant, come hell or high water.
9. Computer and computer devices, the cords of which will work themselves into a Gordian knot somewhere over Kansas, never to be untied.
11. Photos of all my favorite authors so I can stalk them – sometimes those name tags get twisted around and you don’t know if that person you missed is Eloisa James or a different tall Shakespearean professor.
12. My camera, for above stalking purposes.
13. My phone, which will have my downloaded schedule and every number I need of people I’m meeting with so when we get mixed up trying to find each other in the hotel we can play a high tech game of Marco Polo.
15. Ideas. Ideas, ideas, ideas. Seriously, living across country means I don’t get a lot of face time with my fabulous editor and agent, so I have to make the time I do get count.
So, that’s what I’m bringing. Let me know if you think I missed anything!
Until next time, sweets… Happy Reading!
**If anyone wants bookmarks but will not be attending RWA, just write me an email! I’m happy to post them to you.