The Romance Writers of America’s national conference in Anaheim is right around the corner – T minus 3 days and counting! – and my excitement is reaching levels of unprecedented glee. However, it’s around this time – a mere 72 hours out – that I start to realize just how colossally unprepared I am. But, let my procrastination be your gain, as I detail what I have left to do, what I will pack, and what I’m going to do at RWA 2012.
What I have left to do:
1. Double check that you have sent and replied to all messages from friends and business contacts I intend to see at RWA. All dates/times set up, with ample room left over for chance encounters at various coffee locales.
2. Put the finishing touches on any ideas I want to present to said industry contacts. Really, come to think of it, this should be priority #1, but I’m more psyched to be seeing my buds.
3. Pick out my outfits. Business casual, walkable shoes (for a better breakdown of this, I wrote a blog on getting ready for RWA last year.)
4. Get a manicure – because I’m going to be shaking a lot of hands.
What I need to pack:
1. The aforementioned outfits. (Unfortunately, I won’t be going to the RITA awards ceremony this year, so I can skip the evening dress and killer shoes. Although this is no consolation.)
2. All of my swag! This year, not only do I have some gorgeous new bookmarks, but I also have these Lizzie Bennet Diaries cards! And of course, the ubiquitous “signed by the author” stickers, without which, we would all be lost in a haze of guestimation.
3. My signing pen. Purple. For royalty.
4. My computer – I will be finding a certain amount of time to sit and decompress at a coffee shop that has free wi-fi, and I will use that time to my best advantage.
5. My phone – which will have every single contact and meeting inputted into its calendar. (note – I should probably put “input info to phone” on the Things Left To Do List.)
What I need to do when once there:
1. Have a ball!
For those of you who will be at the conference, I’m so excited to get to see you! I’ll be at the Literacy signing on Wednesday July 25th from 5-8pm, at table 602, so come find me! (RWA helpfully posted a chart to help.) Also, I’ll be hanging out with the ladies of The Ballroom on Thursday the 26th at 9:30 pm in the Marriott Bar, so come raise a glass of ratafia with us!
For those who will not be at RWA, I’m sorry that you’ll miss it… but if you want any of the swag mentioned above, just send me an email — I’ll happily send it your way. (Plus, you know I’ll do a round up blog, so you’ll at least get a run down of what happened.) Also, don’t forget to enter the website contest, there will be prizes for the rest of summer!
Until next time, sweets, happy conferencing!